Mike Scott wrote:
I've been banging my head against this one off and on for quite a while,
and either I'm totally misunderstanding what's supposed to happen, or
there's a problem in LO. I'd appreciate advice please.

The goal is to print music lyrics with chord (text) appropriately
aligned above the lyrics. The ultimate goal is to create the .odt
document programmatically: I'm most of the way there, but the way
positioning works in conjunction with 'anchor to character' has me baffled.

I'm using a frame to hold the chord text, and trying to attach the frame
to a given character below in the lyric line, using 'anchor to
character'. Horizontal position is no bother at all - with the text
centred in the frame, and the frame centred on the lyrics character,
things look good.

However, vertical positioning is another matter. It's not at all clear
what 'bottom', 'top', 'from bottom' (etc) are supposed to do (the help
file is lamentably lacking here). I had supposed that "from bottom"
might allow the distance from the bottom of the frame to some reference
point on the character to be specified, but as I've experimented I've
found little logical relationship. Indeed the character-to-frame
distance can vary with paragraph line spacing even when apparently
nominally "locked" to the character -- not at all what I expected, nor
what I need! What actually happens appears so ill-determined, it's not
even easy to describe.

So, to cut to the real question: how do I "lock" a frame to float just
above a given character in some text, and keep the same relative
position as that character moves and text line spacing changes?

Or have I missed a better (easier!) way of achieving my goal?

I'm not sure, but it may be that you're trying to put the frame so close to the text that the wrapping is having an effect - pushing the text out the way of the frame (while the frame is trying to follow the text!)

Take a look at the Format > Frame > Wrap tab. I think you'll want the main wrap setting to be "Through", and maybe also set the "Spacing" values to zero. You may or may not also want to set "In background", depending whether there is any overlap and how you want that handled.

Hope that helps.
Mark.