At 10:31 31/05/2015 +0200, Lens Paul wrote:
I lost recently a calc file despite the autorecovery function set on 10 minutes interval. I kept the lost file open for 2 days. The only files to be found in the backup directory and the temporary file directory were 2 days old, although the lost file had been modified several times.

As you probably realise, backup and AutoRecovery are two different things. If you have backup copies selected, you should see a *.bak copy of the file in the backup directory - but this is simply the version that was replaced the previous time you made a manual save of the document. So if you did not save the document during those two days, no matter how many modifications you made, the backup copy will indeed be the previous version cascaded by your manual save two days ago.

With AutoRecovery set to ten minutes, a current version of the document should be saved separately every ten minutes - provided you have made some modification since the previous similar save - under a different name. I think the AutoRecovery version of name.ods will be saved in the same backup directory as name.ods_0.ods (where the "0" progresses to other numbers).

But you don't explain how you "lost" the document. When you save the document manually - including if you respond positively to the challenge when closing either the document or LibreOffice itself - the AutoRecovery version is deleted. If LibreOffice (or the operating system, or the computer) crashes for some reason, you should be offered a recovered version next time you start LibreOffice. You may accept the offer (and save the recovered document somewhere) or choose to decline it. But whichever choice you make at this point, the AutoRecovery version will be deleted. If for some reason you don't trust LibreOffice to offer you the recovery process, you would need to go digging for the file *before* reopening LibreOffice. Otherwise there will indeed be nothing to find.

Did you perhaps close the document without saving it (an easy mistake to make) but hope that the AutoRecovery facility would keep what you thus asked LibreOffice to discard? It's not designed to protect you from unfortunate choices despite reminders.

I use to set specific paths for backups and temporary files instead of keeping the default paths. [...] Should I keep the default paths for the backups and the temporary files?

I doubt that makes any difference.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker