Am 15.05.2015 um 10:03 schrieb Brian Barker:

Another contributor suggested that the original enquirer's problem may
have been caused by (unwisely) saving spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel
format, and it appears that this may well have been so. My experiments
suggest that spreadsheets saved with the option set differently are
displayed correctly in the Excel Viewer (and therefore presumably in
Excel itself) but do not render correctly when reopened - suggesting
that it is LibreOffice's input filter that is at fault. Solution: save
in .ods format.

The spreadsheets are created with a perl module (Excel::Writer::XLSX) because there doesn't seem to be an equivalent module to create ODS files. Saving them as ODS is not an option because it's annoying having to switch between different formats and to create various copies of the files all the time.

Even saving them as CSV to import them is a step that needs to be removed from the workflow.

But the bottom line is still the same: because the situation is so
complicated and fluid, the reliable way to deal with the problem is to
build case sensitivity into formulae, testing similarity using the
EXACT() function instead of the "=" operator.

I don't understand why or how this is complicated. When I make a general/global setting amongst others, I simply expect this setting to be in effect regardless which document I open.

If this setting cannot be made general/global, then it needs to be clear that it is per document --- not considering that some ppl might nonetheless wish that a global/general setting for this exists. And if a setting which is per document overrides a general/global setting, I should optionally receive a warning.