Thank you for your response. I am using ubuntu 14.04, however ideally any solution would be Excel compatible if possible. In regard to your suggestion, perhaps I'm missing something but I don't see the advantage of inserting a DDE link (assuming I can even do that).

The problem I need to solve is how to avoid having to change the data source manually, I do not think your solution addresses that problem?