For general resizing of images I like "Fast Image (JPG) Resizer for Java"

At: http://fir4j.sourceforge.net/

It will make each image the same size and fill in with your color choice around the image but you have to do the manipulation each time you add an image.

If you are using linux and can do scripting you can use the "inoticoming" command to watch you input-image-directory and output to you database-image-directory.

In the script you will have to manipulate the image with something.
You can try ImageMagick. See "How to Quickly Resize, Convert & Modify Images from the Linux Terminal"

At: http://www.howtogeek.com/109369/how-to-quickly-resize-convert-modify-images-from-the-linux-terminal/

I do not know if Apple products have the same or similar functions.

Hope this helps