On 31/03/15 02:03, Tom Davies wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_accounting_software

I really hate pointing people at Wikipedia, and not only because it has
repeatedly stated that it does not concern itself about objective
accuracy nor with factual data, but only concerns itself with that which
the editors wish was true, despite all the evidence that proves their
wishes to be completely discongruent with both the scientific evidence,
and objective reality.

The only names i recognised were GnuCash and HomeBank;

One of the big issues with FLOSS accounting packages, is that they are
either nothing more than digital check-book reconciliation programs, or
else require somebody who is both a CPA, and knowledgeable programmer to
install, and maintain.

Despite the plethora of accounting packages for the FLOSS world, there
is nothing that even comes close to matching QuickBooks in either the
ease of setting up the program, or the ease with which non-accountants
can do their own books _accurately_.

When LedgerSMB forked from SQL-Ledger, I was hoping one of the
improvements would be to provide out-of-the-box packages that would have
the capabilities and functionality of Peachtree Accounting, with the
premade books for:
* SOHO;
* Self Employed Professional;
* Small Manufacturing;
* Non-profit;
* Retail store;
Unfortunately, that was not to be the case.

I've also given on Apache OpenForBusiness, and the other FLOSS projects
from providing similar OOTB packages for use as accounting solutions.

to do really basic bookkeeping for quite a lot of clients.  That sort of
approach might well turn out to be well worth the cost and would probably
be a lot lower than than whatever your accountant charges per hour for your

In the United States, most accountants simply tell their clients to use
QuickBooks, or else provide their data in a format that QuickBooks can
read/write/edit.  It isn't that QuickBooks is great about GAAP
conformity, (it violates more core GAAP requirements than anybody really
wants to acknowledge) but rather it makes it easier to put data in the
right place, than in the wrong place. It also does some things that make
it fairly easy for accountants to see where data was erroneously placed,
and make the appropriate corrections.
(It will not pick up wilful fraud, and deceptive practices, but it picks
up the accidental stuff that non-accountants do.)

It might be worth asking her/him to give you an estimate of how much they think they would
charge, just to get an idea.

+1

Sage 50

FWIW, that started out as Peachtree professional, rebranded with Sage
livery. It is Sage's low end competitor to QuickBooks.

###

For potential partial solutions within the LibO ecology, I found:

Leeno:
http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/leeno-alias-ultimus

Invoice Database:
http://templates.libreoffice.org/template-center/invoice-database

Abrechnungsformular Wohnungsvermietung 2014.1
http://templates.libreoffice.org/template-center/abrechnungsformular-wohnungsvermietung

Simple Service Invoice
http://templates.libreoffice.org/template-center/simple-service-invoice-1

There is an entire category of Accounting Templates at
http://templates.libreoffice.org/template-center?getCategories=Accounting&getCompatibility=any

I didn't look at everything there, but I did notice a couple of
templates that either have had no releases, or else the option to
download them has been removed.

For potential partial solutions within the AOo ecology, I found:

Family Accounting:
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/family-accounting

OFX2Calc
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/ofx2calc

OpenOffice Accounting 3.0:
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/template/openoffice-accounting-30-0

There is a category of "Business Finance" templates at
http://templates.openoffice.org/en/search?sort_by=created&sort_order=DESC&f[0]=field_template_category%3A14&f[1]=field_template_category%3A16

I didn't look at everything there, but at least one is nothing more than
a Microsoft Excel file saved in ODF format.

It should perhaps not be necessary to say, but I neither downloaded, nor
tested anything listed there. How suitable any of them is, can only be
determined by testing.

jonathon