Andreas ,

i must strongly confirm your vision.
We must see Base as a connector and a front end for any possible database server

We have 100 users, using LO as a front end to a MySQL server without any problems to use the MySQL data in Writer and Calc. The front end itself is writen with LO basic mainly using Dialogs to view the data and to feed the server with new and modified data.
Greetz

Fernand