-----Original Message----- From: Brian Barker
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2015 7:05 AM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Formatting a date

At 06:41 19/02/2015 -0800, Mark Howe wrote:
I have text: 19 February 2015. The format for the cell is date 2/19/2015, but it will not acknowledge that or sort correctly. As if it's formatted for date but not accepting that fact. What did I do wrong?

If you want your existing values to be genuine dates - as you will want to do if you need to include them in calculations or even just sort them - you must first convert the text into the equivalent date. Fortunately. the DATEVALUE() function is available to do this for you. Just put =DATEVALUE(Xn) in another column and fill down.

I interpreted what you wrote to mean that =datevalue(a1) would convert the contents of A1 into a date.

Yup - provided that the value in A1 is a "valid date expression".

It did not and produced err502. What am I missing?

Then what is in A1 cannot be what Calc considers (in your locale) to be a valid date expression. The DATEVALUE() function seems very robust to me: it can cope with many date formats and doesn't seem to be fazed by extra blanks, though it can be by extraneous commas.

Is it possible that you have a column heading in A1?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker