On 13/01/15 16:17, Wiebe van der Worp wrote:
On 13-01-15 11:54, Mike Scott wrote:
Why are text styles not available to use within text boxes?
However, I'd like to use styles to ensure consistency, and this appears
simply impossible - only one style, the box style, is available (in
Draw, but not Writer!) and that affects all text(*) within the given
box.

You are right and it is a bit surprising. Talking about Writer, Insert >
Frame does support styles properly, i.e. both paragraph and frame
styles. That seems to me a great alternative for Writer.

I've just had a look, and I'm really not clear about the distinction between a "text box" and a "frame" in Writer (and dare I ask why Draw doesn't offer a 'frame'?). It looks as though, although the proffered controls differ, both are implemented the same way - a simple example shows each is a "text box" contained within a "frame" - this example has some text, a text box, and a frame with some text typed into it:

<office:text>

<text:sequence-decls></text:sequence-decls>

<draw:frame draw:style-name="fr1" draw:name="Frame1" text:anchor-type="page" text:anchor-page-number="1" svg:x="2.327cm" svg:y="7.456cm" svg:width="7.001cm" draw:z-index="1">

<draw:text-box fo:min-height="0.499cm">

<text:p text:style-name="P2">Here is a frame</text:p>

</draw:text-box>
</draw:frame>

<draw:frame text:anchor-type="page" text:anchor-page-number="1" draw:z-index="0" draw:style-name="gr1" svg:width="10.011cm" svg:height="1.146cm" svg:x="2.187cm" svg:y="4.175cm">

<draw:text-box>

<text:p>Here is a text box</text:p>

</draw:text-box>
</draw:frame>

<text:p text:style-name="P1">Here is some text</text:p>

<text:p text:style-name="P1"/>
</office:text>

From what I remember, Draw used the same xml construct.

But why then the distinction between a "frame" and a "text box" (the latter term clearly/not/corresponding to the internal entity of the same name)?

About text boxes: it looks a bit Q&D, clearing formatting leaves text as
Times New Roman - a font I banned many years ago and isn't even on my
system.

A more general question: why are there two distinct components, "Writer" and "Draw"? I know historically that text processing and graphics were distinct, but I've felt for a long time that these two are converging - Writer offers a poor-man's graphic facility, and Draw a poor text-processing facility. Ought the two not merge and give all the features of each package in one program?

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England