Dr. Jim Ishler wrote:
When I try to start LibrOffice I get an error that the program cannot be started.

It says the service manager is not available.

"Premature end of
file:///C:/Users/jishler/AppData/Roaming/LibreOffice/4/user/uno_packages/cache/registry/com.sun.star.comp.deployment.component.PackageRegistryBackend/common.rdb"

I have tried reinstalling LibreOffice, repairing it, and unistalling and then reinstalling, but I
always get the same error.  How can I fix this?

I am running Windows 7

It looks like one of the files in your profile is corrupt. Uninstalling and reinstalling keeps your existing profile, so that any user configuration is carried over to a new version, so won't fix that.

First thing I'd try is to close LibreOffice, rename just that one file, then start LibreOffice. It might create a default and start OK, or it might not. If that works, you can either try to copy anything from the original (renamed) file which you need, or just delete it.

If that doesn't work, close LibreOffice and rename the folder C:/Users/jishler/AppData/Roaming/LibreOffice/ (for example, to "LibreOffice-2015-01-04"). Then start LibreOffice; it should create a new "LibreOffice" folder with a default profile. Depending how much you've customised, you might want to try to copy some parts of the old profile across to the new (e.g. custom spell check dictionaries), but if you haven't customised much it's probably easier just to re-do any configuration you need via the options within LibreOffice.

Renaming rather than deleting these files/folders means you've still got a copy of the broken profile in case you need to recover anything from it. You can delete them if you're confident you don't need anything from them.

Mark.