At 15:43 15/12/2014 +0000, John Scott wrote:
Can you please help with inserting pictures into a Libre Office writer document? I follow the procedure for image and can see the picture in the frame when I click "Picture" or "Crop", but the picture is not visible to send to anyone I am writing to when I add text.

When you insert an image into a text (Writer) document, there are two ways to do so: linking and embedding. You will see a Link tick box in the "Insert picture" dialogue to control this.

Linking merely inserts a link to the file containing the picture, and this is accessed each time you open the containing text file. This has the advantages that the text file is smaller than it would otherwise need to be and that the picture file can be independently updated with any changes being automatically carried into the text file. But the disadvantage is that the original picture file has to be available whenever the text file needs to be rendered - displayed or printed, that is. So not only you would need to send the picture file to your correspondent but it would need to end up in the same location relative to the text file on their system.

Embedding does what it says, so is easier and probably more suitable if you wish to distribute the final text document.

o To embed a new picture, ensure that Link is not ticked in the "Insert picture" dialogue.

o In an existing text file with linked pictures, you can embed the pictures very easily by going to Edit | Links... . Select each linked graphic and click Break Link to embed the graphic instead.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker