At 11:55 01/12/2014 +0100, Rob Jasper wrote:
Op 1 dec. 2014, om 06:35 heeft Brian Barker het volgende geschreven:
At 19:56 30/11/2014 +0100, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
On Sunday, 30 November 2014, Brian Barker wrote:
At 13:55 30/11/2014 +0100, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
Google for "acrobat reader file locking" and you'd notice that this unnecessary locking is inherent issue of Windows. You're dealing with behavior largely inherited from the MS DOS era. You can pick other pdf reader.

Surely that evidence falsifies your claim? If it's possible for another reader under the same operating system not to lock the file, then the locking cannot be a property of the operating system, still less of its legacy? In fact, it cannot be: just look at Windows' Notepad, which does not lock files it opens.

Opening for writing locks the on Windows.

Do you mean that all Windows software capable of editing document files locks them? Sorry, but that is simply untrue - as I suggested. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notepad_(software) : "Notepad does not require a lock on the file it opens, so it can open files already opened by other processes, users, or computers...". So this is surely not about any difference between operating systems? In any case, file locking is surely in general a Good Thing, isn't it? LibreOffice locks document files against opening in another instance of LibreOffice in its own way (under whatever operating system). The question here should surely be whether you want a PDF reader that is capable of annotation (and therefore of writing to document files), and if you do, how you want it to behave.

Linux informs that the file was changed or removed if it editing it, that models the real world.

So you mean that I can spend a couple of hours editing a file, only to discover when I try to save the result that you have been editing it as well, and I have the choice of either overwriting your changes or abandoning mine? That's not part of any "real world" I want to inhabit.

No, you get the option to either 'save as' or quit without save. This is also true in some traditional editors in Unix/Linux like emacs.

But that has exactly the same problem as I was suggesting. I've been editing for a couple of hours, expecting to be doing useful work, only to find when I come to save that you have also been editing independently. Now either of your options is unsatisfactory: either the work that I have done is wasted or else we end up with two separate documents and the job of somehow merging them later. I needed to know before I started editing that my work would be wasted and that I should hold back until you had created your next version. A lock on the file enables any user to appreciate the problem in advance - which is not dissimilar to the original suggestion about exporting as PDF.

Brian Barker