Hi :)
Err, i think that was Paul's point!

That and further posts made me look-up Redhat version numbers in
DistroWatch;
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=redhat
The last release date of 5.2, "apollo", was October 1998 so there is a lot
of wriggle room there.

Walking away sounds difficult but giving them a list of things that needs
to be done might give you some room to manoeuvre and give you some
disclaimers in advance.

Linus offers upgrade routes that Windows Server couldn't hope to offer.  It
might even be possible to do most or even all of it remotely or very
cheaply or surprisingly quickly without down-time and with an ever-present
option to revert to the old Redhat version.

It's even possible to upgrade to CentOS as it's pretty much identical to
Redhat but only lacks their technical support = another option Windows
Server doesn't offer!

One route i quite fancy would be to;
1.  get a fairly low level techie to plug in an extra ancient hard-drive
(if they can find one that has the ancient connectors or use an adapter).
2.  Get their consultant to install CentOS.  Reboot once to get into CentOS
and test it.  Reboot back into Redhat to solve teething troubles.

It might even be possible to do step 2 remotely!

Their consultant might prefer to dodge both those steps and just get a
slightly less ancient machine and install CentOS on that before posting it
to them.  Maybe just doing the finishing touches to tailor a generic CentOS
machine

Moving to an Ubuntu Server might make some sense and even such a different
family (Debian family rather than Redhat family) only has a few trivial
(mostly) differences.  Probably is best to stay in the same family though
because it's more familiar to the consultant (or is it?  Ubuntu has become
very popular).

The consultant would probably be able to tell which way they would prefer,
and therefore which is likely to be the cheapest route.

Regards from
Tom :)