Hi :)
You could try installing the "upstream" version alongside your existing one
but that can get confusing.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel

Also in LO in the menus does;

Tools - Options - Paths

show a relevant path that just needs correcting?

With Mint, and other *buntus and clones i think you set which email client
is the default for the whole OS.  Then your normal notifications system
lets you know when an email arrives even if you don't have the emailer
open.  Also probably lets you click somewhere near the clock to write a
message without properly opening your emailer.

Wrt cross-posting here and on the Mint forums i have to say that it seems
extremely sensible and probably "good practice" to do so.  Whichever one
gets the answer first try to give a link to it in the other ones thread.
To get a url link for this email thread maybe try our Nabble interface.
Alternatively just copy&paste the most helpful answer into the thread that
didn't quite get there in time.

Regards from
Tom :)