At 12:38 01/10/2014 +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote:
I insert a check box, ...

What - just the shape of a box? And into a text document?

... by using insert->symbol and then I select the symbol in question.

Er, is that what I see as Insert | Special Character...?

Can I bind this to a key, say shift+insert inserts already the check box.

Not that I know of. There are a few alternative tricks:

o Copy your first check box and paste the new one where you want it.

o Type some otherwise unused character combination where you need the boxes and use Find & Replace to convert these to boxes when you have finished your main text entry in the document.

o (Best)
 + Enter one box.
 + Select it.
+ Go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Replace. Notice that your box already appears in the With: field.
 + Enter a suitable code - perhaps ## or cb ? - in the Replace: field.
 + Click New and OK.
 + Now just type the code in place of the box.

Or do you mean a proper check box in an XML Form Document? If so:
o Go to Tools | Customise... | Keyboard.
o Under Category, select Controls.
o Under Function, select Check Box.
o Under "Shortcut keys", select a suitable unused key combination.
o Click Modify and OK.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker