free.

However often companies, organisations and governments find it best to use
a fraction of the cost-savings to either;
1.  hire devs to work on LibreOffice (and maybe other Open Source software
such as Firefox) in order to get some control over future developments,
which bugs get prioritised and for tier3 support
2.  to pay some external organisation to provide tier 3 technical support
One of our pages lists some good organisations to get tier 3 support but
there are many other places too and it's possible that existing contracts
could take on LibreOffice as part of the support-package that an
organisation already buys in.

By sharing the coding it means better quality assurance as the code is
tested on millions of real-world machines world-wide.  Anything that does
get into the main-branch is then available for everyone so you get the
benefit of coding paid for by thousands of other companies, organisations
and governments world-wide too.

Many individuals or small companies give time to the project rather than
direct payments or easily recognisable and quantifiable resources.  Time
such as a few hours per however often of marketing, dealing with
users-questions, helping with documentation = it all helps!  There are also
a LOT of volunteers that join in with this whole process so a lot of people
working on the project are very dedicated to getting the best possible
quality software.

LibreOffice recently won recognition for having the least number of errors
per line of coding than any other known software program, far lower than MS
Office but also lower than the security programs written to keep systems
secure.

Regards from
Tom :)

On 3 September 2014 20:41, Julie Fitzpatrick <JFitzpatrick@moosejaw.ca>