Hi Thomas,

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:29:29 +0900
Thomas Blasejewicz <nyuwa@hb.tp1.jp> wrote:

Paul

I also thought about that already, although I have currently no
idea how to change that keyboard behavior.
BUT ... if that were true ..would / should LibreOffice not behave
in the same way under Ubuntu (Unity desktop), Xubuntu (XFCE) and
Mint (Cinnamon)?

If I revall correctly (this is an old PC of my daugther), I
borrowed it a few years back when I had to spend a week away from
home. At that time the PC was running Windows Vista and I used
LibreOffice in that environment, but do not remember any such
behavior ...

Thank you all!
By now I figured out, that you have to combine EVERY function key
with the Fn key.
If you do so, it works. Have not yet tested all possible combinations.

This is not perfect, but I will still with this, and not go back to
Unity.

Not the way I think it is supposed to work, but yes, this is then a
laptop issue, not a LibreOffice issue, and most likely not even a
Linux Mint issue. I'm almost certain that you will find this same
behaviour in all other apps running under your current OS. I don't
*think* the OS should affect this, so if you were to reboot into Ubuntu
or Windows right now you should experience the same behaviour, but I'm
not *absolutely* sure about this.

As someone else pointed out, you might be able to change this from the
BIOS. In fact, a quick google suggests that this can be changed in the
BIOS, so that should be your first stop.

Just because it didn't work this way last time you borrowed it from your
daughter doesn't really say much. If it is a BIOS setting, it could
have been changed in the interim. Or it could be due to a bug in the
firmware that has somehow resulted in the default behaviour being
flipped. Even a coffee spill on the keyboard could do something like
this. I've had similar things happen when I am holding down shift, and
some change of focus happens between applications (particularly when
I'm working in a virtual OS under VirtualBox), and the shift key
becomes "stuck". Maybe a reboot would be all it takes to fix this,
although I'm assuming you've rebooted the laptop by now and that this
doesn't work.

But given my quick googling suggests that this is known behaviour for
that make and model and that it can be changed in the BIOS, I would
start there. If that doesn't work, you should try googling for the
laptop make and model and things like "Fn key stuck" or "Fn key always
on" or "Fn key flipped" or something like that. But I'm assuming that
the BIOS will provide the answer.

Hope you get this sorted.

Paul