I may be overestimating the simplicity of Base, but I suspect Base will
be far, far simpler than creating a Django project.

A Django project means actual coding, and a lot of it. Yes I know how
simple Django is, but it still requires a decent amount of coding. As I
understand it, Joel isn't a programmer, and if he is struggling to have
enough time to learn about databases and Base, he surely doesn't have
time to learn to be a programmer just for this.

Even if he was a programmer already, developing it in Django will
probably take longer than developing it in Base. In fact, I suspect it
would be faster for me to develop this sort of thing in Base than in
Django, and I'm a programmer with almost no experience in Base
(admittedly not much experience in Django per se, but some in other
frameworks like Django). But as I said, I may be overestimating the
simplicity of Base.

Learning to program, and learning something like Django, are both
worthy pursuits in their own right, and will allow one to make
applications such as this one and much more complex ones, but for a
simple home hobby system, I'm not sure that sort of input is warranted.

Perhaps looking at how Django is put together will help with your
understanding of databases and data access, but even that will require
a fair input of time and effort.

Suggestions such as this, though, are great. Even if they don't get
chosen as part of the solution, or are in fact not really directly
applicable, they still add ideas, and help one think outside the box a
little.

Again, YMMV, this is just IMHO.

Paul

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 06:44:07 -0700