At the risk of adding to the "political" noise...

On Sat, 09 Aug 2014 09:46:12 -0400
Kracked_P_P---webmaster <webmaster@krackedpress.com> wrote:

[snip]
For MS Office, the formats ending with
"x" is a problem even for their older version.  MSO 2007 might have
trouble reading DOCX files created from the newer versions, even
though they are all called a DOCX file.  MSO keeps changing things
inside the "x" file formats, especially the latest version.

[snip]

Still get some "x" files emailed to me and most work fine for me
and LibreOffice.  It seems that every major version release of
LibreOffice seems to get these "x" documents to read better and
better - for those few that do not work well.  I have a Windows
laptop that has some Word "reader" packages from MS and the
problem .docx files are a problem with the latest Word reader I
use.  SO it may not be LibreOffice but the version of MS Office
that sends me these documents.
[snip]

Yup.  In fact: I've seen where people send "x" files to my coworkers,
coworker sends HelpDesk complaint "I can't read this file," I have
them try LibréOffice, and LibréOffice renders it just fine.  Hasn't
happened often, but it has happened.

It's important for individuals and businesses to understand this:
For-profit companies make money off selling you stuff (duh).  They
can't sell you a New Thing if you're happy with the Old Thing.  How
might demand for the New Thing be... enhanced?  Well, I suppose one
way *might* be that what the New Thing creates is subtly incompatible
with the Old Thing.

Not that I'd accuse anybody of *purposely* doing such a
thing--unless it was, you know, necessary or unavoidable ;)

At work we're avoiding that problem, to the extent possible, by
standardizing on MS-Win7 and MSO 2007.  (The former because it's
not too different from MS-WinXP, the latter because it's the
latest that most installs already had.)  It's getting increasingly
difficult to find *legitimate* copies of retail versions of these
packages, but we expect to have the entire organization's upgrade
cycle completed before the supply dries up entirely.

N.B.: For many installs we first try installing only LibréOffice, and
only buy & install MSO if LO absolutely will not work for the user.

As for home: I solved the entire problem once-and-for-all by
replacing my wife's MS-Win install with Linux Mint.  (MS-Win8 was the
last straw, even for her.)

Mind you: I *used* to actually recommend Microsoft solutions for many
users (with caveats). Wouldn't use it, myself, because it just did not
work for me--for the way I use computers.  (Nor did Apple
solutions.)  I feel I can no longer, in good conscience, do so--for a
variety of reasons, not the least of which is the never-ending
incompatibility/upgrade issue, and its associated costs--which are
not insignificant.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is