I agree that planning is key.  I started with a spreadsheet until the
data source was stable.  The plan is to import the data into Base, do
some reports, report my progress, then gather comments and suggestions.
My guess is that the database will grow - I just don't know to what.
So, I may end up exporting the tables to spreadsheet and re-import.
Once the database is stable, I plan to move to either MySQL or MariaDB.

Dave,