Hi John,

John Jason Jordan schrieb:
I have a graphic and a two-line caption that I need to center in a cell
in a table in Writer, both vertically and horizontally. I cant get the
right combination of options to accomplish this:

Alignment - page, paragraph, character, as character - which?
Caption - I need it on top, and part of the graphic frame.

Select the picture and move it down with the arrow key. The caption will be arranged before the picture. Or in newer LibreOffice versions you can select the position 'Before' already in the caption dialog.

I think the caption becomes part of the frame, so it is the frame that
I need to center vertically and horizontally in the cell, not just the
graphic.

Yes, you need to set the alignment on the frame.

Does anyone know how to do this?

The problem is, that the 'vertical center' property of the cell itself, does not work, if a picture or frame is present, but only if the cell content is pure text.

You can insert an additional frame into the cell. Set the wrap to 'through', set the inner border distance to zero. Set the outer wrap distance to zero. Anchor this frame to paragraph, alignment horizontal left, vertical top to paragraph text area. And set the width and height relative with value 100%. This frame should now fill the whole cell. You can set the border of the frame to something good visible. Disable border later, when all works as desired.

Now you can put the picture frame into this additional frame and anchor it _To Frame_. Make sure, that is is totally inside the additional frame, otherwise you will not get the option to anchor it to frame. If it is anchored to frame, you get the option "center to frame" in the alignment part of the tab "Type" in the properties dialog of the frame.

Kind regards
Regina