Hi :)
Sorry you haven't had any answers so far.  Chapter 3 of the "Getting
Started Guide" might help
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)

On 6 June 2014 22:04, AndrewB <andrew@hippofarms.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

I felt it was time to "do" my first template so, after reading the relevant
bits of the Writer Guide and a few tutorials on the web I proceeded as
follows:

1) Create a new document from "Default" template.
2) Edit the Right/Left page styles to include a footer.
3) Apply the Right Page style to the first page.
4) Create our custom paragraph fonts.
5) Entered something meaningful under "File | Properties | Description |
Title"

Nothing too fancy to start with, but when I did "Save as Template", several
unexpected things happened:

  1) The "Title" field was changed to match the filename
  2) The presentation of the "Title" field at the top of the document was
changed from my own style to "Heading 1" - though it did manage to keep my
choice of font!
  3) Something, though I have no idea what, was given the "Heading" style
(it's in the list of applied paragraph styles, but a search for styles
doesn't find it anywhere).

How much of this is "working as designed"? How much is "Possible bug" ? and
how much is "User inexperience"?

None of the material I've read even hints at any of this.

Also, although the template, as saved, had the first page set as "Right
Page", when I create a document from that template, it always opens with a
"Default Style" page (as indicated in the status bar at the bottom).  What
can I do to make LO open the template at a "Right Page"?

deleted