Hi :)
This is part of the reason for keeping existing versions of MS Office
during the migration period.

Existing templates and documents hopefully work well on existing
versions of MS Office.  They don't always work so well on newer
versions of MS Office but upgrading the templates is then considered
part of the cost of the upgrade.

MS Office 2007 uses a "transitional" OOXML format.  MS Office 2010
uses a different one.  MS Office 2013 uses yet another by default but
allow "strict" OOXML through the
File - "Save As ..."
menu.  There was some attempt to 'backport' the OOXML format to 2003
and earlier but i'm not sure which of the "transitional" formats was
used or if it was yet another version.

Mostly MS Office 2003 and earlier use a previous MS format that had
finally become fully interoperable with many other programs, suites
and usable cross-platform but MS chose that moment to start using
OOXML which promised (but apparently failed to deliver) the promise of
interoperability that the older format had just achieved.  The new
OOXML format kinda forces everyone to keep buying their newer and
newer versions of MS Office.  MS Office is one of the biggest income
streams for the profit making company.

By contrast LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Caligra/KOffice, IBM Lotus
Symphony and many other programs all use ODF and can easily be set to
default to the ISO standard that works exactly the same in all
versions of all programs, except MS Office.

So, sticking with MS formats and MS programs ensures needing to
upgrade all the templates every 3 years or so.  Moving to LibreOffice
means upgrading to the ODF formats and templates this one time.

The additional advantage with migrating to LibreOffice (or OpenOffice)
is that it is possible to do so without losing your existing version
of MS Office.  MS Office doesn't really allow that as an option.
Well, it does but it's difficult to do and leads to confusions and
problems.  I've done it but it's really not worth the hassle.

So, keeping existing MS Office for existing templates and documents is
smart.  New templates and documents need to start being made on
LibreOffice but you can still use the old ones on MS Office.  Plus it
gives you more time to upgrade existing templates and test they work
before becoming dependant on them.

Regards from
Tom :)