On 3/22/2014 9:17 AM, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
Le 22/03/14 10:07, A a écrit :

Hi,

I've tried various things, none of them will give me the above
structure.  It refuses to "number" item 1h (or anything thereafter)
properly.  Kevin, I read your article 2 and 3 which are very
informative.  But I'm still unable to get it to behave.  It will do a
variety of (mostly bizarre) things.  At various points it made the "h"
an "a", if I restart numbering, a "b", if I continue the previous
numbering an "o" for some reason, a bullet when I hit enter after g.ii.,
and absolutely nothing at one point.  Clearly I'm doing something wrong,
but I'm at a loss as to determine what it is.
In the "options" tab of "bullets and numbering" :

- set Level 1 to use numbers;
- set Level 2 to use lower case letters;
- set Level 3 to use romanized lower case letters

When typing use return to add a new line with the same numbering level
style, and Tab to indent and switch to the numbering level style below.

Empty new lines seem to remove the numbering style settings.
Using Shift-Tab to move up a numbering style level doesn't work as
expected if you are on the last line of your document, it jumps two
levels up (I don't consider that to be normal behaviour, but maybe that
is how it is designed).

Alex

If I want an "empty new line" WITHOUT changing the level I'm on, and without giving a "bullet or number" to that empty line, then I create the empty line by typing [ctrl]-[enter] at the end of the previous line.

Also, in the Formatting toolbar, the "Decrease Indent" (or [ctrl]-[alt]-[left arrow]) and "Increase Indent" (or [ctrl]-[alt]-[right arrow]) icons are helpful.

Hope this helps,
Tim Deaton