On 17/03/14 18:02, Brian Barker wrote:
At 17:48 17/03/2014 +0000, Budgie Noname wrote:
On 17/03/14 13:25, Brian Barker wrote:
At 11:43 17/03/2014 +0000, Budgie Noname wrote:
In short I am having to "massage" a .csv file exported from one
system before importing it into an accounting system.  The
accountant wants a "Comment" column added before importing the file
which summarises information held in four other columns.  Two
columns contain names and do not present a problem but the other two
have dates.  In the .csv file the dates are shown 02-Oct-14 and I am
having trouble getting these dates treated as text.

To get the names I have:-
=B2&" "&C2 but how do I copy the dates?

If you have real dates in the columns and you need to include them as
text in the additional column, just use TEXT(D2;"DD-MMM-YY") where
you would otherwise use D2 in your formula, and so on.

But if you mean that your original CSV file has these dates in this
format, there is an easier way.  When you open the CSV file, you
should see the Text Import dialogue.  Under Fields, click in the date
columns and then select Text from the drop-down menu against "Column
type".  The dates will be imported as text and you will not need the
above workaround.

Having managed to write the comment column with your help I have
another problem.  The contents of the comment cells comprise elements
put there by the formula.  How may I "freeze" them as text so that I
may delete the columns used by the formula?

o Copy the relevant cells.
o Go to Edit | Paste Special... (or right-click | Paste Special... or
Ctrl+Shift+V).
o In the Paste Special dialogue, ensure that "Paste all" is not ticked
and then that Text (or whatever) is ticked but Formulas is *not* ticked.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Hi Brian,
I spent an age trying to find this with no luck before asking here, so once more I am in your debt. It works. Just what I needed, so many thanks once more.
Budgie