I opened them in a browser, which, if everything was working correctly,
should not be different from the point of view of the server, meaning it
should provide the requested files to both. And I copy/pasted a page from a
website containing linked images into a calc file, which closed and
reopened just fine.
Now, I can't link these image specifically, as Calc just won't paste them
at all if they are not on a "complete" page (which is weird in itself).
Maybe there's something in the image format, or the fact that it's https,
that Calc just don't like. Saldy I can't test this extensively.

Did you try embedded those images in a LO spreadsheet to see if they load,
or did you just open them in your browser?

-Bill