On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 4:20 PM, John R. Sowden
<jsowden@americansentry.net>wrote:

I have a calc sheet about 600 lines long with data at the top that I would
like to see while I an using the data at, say line 400.  Is it possible to
open a second window showing the data at the top while editing the data at
lower lines?

Brian has already offered one solution. That solution locks rows in the top
portion of the sreadsheet so they cannot be scrolled.

If however you want to be able to scroll both the top rows and the bottom
rows there is another possibility...

- Open your spreadsheet
- place your mouse at the right edge of the spreadsheet just above the
vertical scroll bar, over a small horizontal black line just to the right
of the column letters. The pointer will change to a two headed arrow
pointing up and down
- while the two headed arrow is displayed click the mouse and drag down,
the spreadsheet will be separated into a top and bottom half and both can
be scrolled independently

LibreOffice's instructions for this can be found by opening Help and using
"split window" as the search term in Help's Find tab. Select "Split" or
"Window" from the list of found topics. "Split" describes doing this with
the mouse. "Window" describes doing it using the Window menu's "Split"
command.

-Alan