Hi :)
*  I don't think this helps but when you export to Pdf there are
option on how much over all compression and under that is an option to
compress images more or less.

*  I think i would prefer the approach of gathering all the images
into a single sub-folder (i tend to do that anyway jic i lose an image
from the document) then create radically smaller copies and put the
smaller copies into the file itself.  Then zip the sub-folder so that
it's just 1 file for emailing or copying.  Then it's 3 files to email
or copy;  the zipped images, the editable document, the PDF.  The Pdf
shows how it is meant to look.  The editable document and images let
them use their expertise to quickly get the result they can cope with.

*  For an ebook it might be worth joining in with the LibreOffice
Documentation Team and ask them for suggestions as they have looked
into doing ebooks a few times and might have some good advice.  The
might also be quite appreciative if you experiment with their books to
test-drive the processes to find the best way.

*  As with my 2nd bullet-point, still use Gimp or something to get the
images smaller but instead of just doing thumbnails as place-holders
just figure out what scale is optimal for each image and use those.

There are many photo and image editors out there.  Gimp is one of the free ones
http://www.gimp.org/
Personally i really like it despite being happy to grumble about a few
things.  I haven't tried some of the alternatives but tend to find
more grumbles about anything else i have tried.  On balance i
personally find Gimp is the best for me unless i'm doing svgs (logos
and such) in which case i'm currently happy with Inkscape.

There are a lot of formats and it might be that a different format
might be better for some images.  Each has their own niche.

Gifs are tiny and good if there is clear distinction between colours
and a limited range of colours (ie less than 8 is great).  It's not
great if there is shading or smooth transition between colours

Pngs are great if you can index them but again that would mean no
smooth merging of colours.  Alternatively it's great if you start an
image from scratch as a png.  If cameras took pngs instead of jpgs
then the file-sizes would be smaller.  Converting photos from jpg to
png usually means larger file-size until you do a lot of work.
Probably there are people who could advise on a good way to drop the
file-size easily but i haven't got it working yet.

Jpg is the normal format for most cameras and it's a good general
purpose format.  It's compression can make a nasty mess of bits of
images where there is clear distinction between different colours.

Regards from
Tom :)