I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone responded to this.

On 8 February 2014 18:40, John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:

The problem is that some keyboard shortcuts are not working,
specifically Ctrl-F12 (opens insert table dialog box) and
Ctrl-Shift-End / Ctrl-Shift-Home (selects to end / beginning of
document). However, Ctrl-Shift-Right / Left Arrow select to the
end / beginning of the current word, as they are supposed to, as does
Ctrl-a (select all).

My Ubuntu/LO 4.0.2.2 settings for Writer under Tools/Customise:
Ctrl+F12 — Table
Ctrl+Shift+End — Select to End of Document
Ctrl+Shift+Home — Select to Beginning of Document
Ctrl+Shift+Right — Select to Word Right
Ctrl+Shift+Left — Select to Beginning of Word
Ctrl+A — (nothing assigned in Writer; Select All assigned in LibreOffice)

I have checked in the settings editor for Xubuntu and Ctrl-F12 is set
to "Workspace 12", although I have only two workspaces enabled, and I
can't tell if "Workspace 12" is just part of a preconfigured list where
it is not actually enabled, or whether anything in the list is
automatically enabled. I also can't figure out what the keyboard
shortcut list in the settings editor actually does - e.g., if a document
window is open do the settings editor preferences override the
application keyboard shortcuts, or the other way around?

In my experience, making keyboard assignments under Tools/Customise
overrides other settings, for better or worse.

As a test, in Tools/Customise (Customise dialogue box), in the
Functions Category window, I selected 'Format' and in the Functions
Function windows, I selected Italic. In the Keys window was Ctrl+I — I
went to the Shortcut keys window, clicked on Ctrl+U (which showed
Underline as the assignment) and then the Modify button. It added that
shortcut to the Keys window. I then opened a Writer document,
highlighted a paragraph, and used Ctrl+U. It italicised the paragraph.
So making the change there overrode the normal underline function.

The ”normal underline function”? As I understand it, the ”normal underline
function” is defined exactly there, so you didn't override it, you changed
it. Or do you mean that the LibreOffice Customise dialogue box changed the
underline functions in other programs too, such as gnote or whatever?

Johnny Rosenberg

Before switching back, I tested it in Calc and found it had also
changed it for Calc **even though the choice in the Customise dialogue
box had been set to Writer** and not set to LibreOffice!

As for Ctrl-Shift-End and Ctrl-Shift-Home, neither is listed in the
Xubuntu settings editor, so they should be completely free for
applications. More importantly, these two shortcuts do not work in
Gedit or my mail client's compose window either, although I can't check
the Ctrl-F12 in them because these applications have no table function.
And all of these shortcuts are enabled in the LO customization dialog
box.

If I'm understanding correctly, the assignments are correct in
LibreOffice according to the Customise dialogue box?

Do the keyboard assignments appear in the menu (iow,
Table/Insert/Table shows Ctrl+F12)?

I'm tired of having to use the mouse/menus to select to the
beginning / end of a document or open the insert table dialog window.

I understand. I would be also.

Does anyone have any suggestions for places to poke around in? Can
anyone with LO on a 'buntu duplicate the problem?

In the Customise dialogue box, are any assigned actions associated
with events (Events tab)?

In Ubuntu, the Keyboard Settings allow keyboard assignments in eight
different categories (Launchers, Navigation, Screenshots, Sound and
Media, System, Universal Access, Windows, and Custom Shortcuts). I
presume you checked all categories?

--
T. R. Valentine
A rich heart may be under a poor coat.