I realize this thread is a little long in the tooth by now but one aspect (why?) of Mr Byrnes query
is still dangling.

On January 12, 2014 12:57:16 PM PST, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
Running LO 3.5.7.2 on Ubuntu 12.04

If I have cells:

A1  =  2
A2  =  2
A3  =  2
A4  =  =SUM(A1:A3)  which equals 6

If I right click on the number 2 to the left of cell A2 to select that
row and then insert a row from the popup menu and enter the number 2 in

that blank cell, I get:

A1  =  2
A2  =  2
A3  =  2
A4  =  2
A5  =  =SUM(A1:A4)  which equals 8

If instead I right click on the number 4 to the left of cell A4 to
select that row and then insert a row from the popup menu and enter the

number 2 in that blank cell, I get:

A5  =  =SUM(A1:A3)  which equals 6.

If you need to insert a new row in a column of figures, right above the

cell where you calculate a total seems to be the natural place to do
it.
 So why doesn't the formula update when you do so?

In the first example cell A3 became cell A4 so the function call became SUM(A1:A4) but in the
second example cell A3 remained where it started so there was no reason to alter the function call.
Let's suppose that that function call was elsewhere on the sheet (e.g. G1) instead of directly
below the numbers being summed. There would be no expectation for the function call to be adjusted.
Right? I found the answer that pointed to an option that handles this issue when adding a row to be
educational.

Thanks,  Jim

--
Another Jim