Date: prev next · Thread: first prev next last
2014 Archives by date, by thread · List index

As mentioned in an earlier post, one of the interesting "features" of the
alphabetical indexing function is that each time you add another entry to
the concordance file and do an "update" of the index, Writer adds another
marker to each instance of text to be included, whether or not it already
has such a marker. The result is that, if you place the cursor between the
first and second letter of an indexed word in the document, you need to
press the left arrow a number of times equal to the number of updates you
have done (plus one to go over the first letter) to get to the preceding

To confirm this behavior, I saved my document as "OpenDocument Text (Flat
XML) (fodt)" and the following example is the XML for an entry that (in the
document) simply says "Appendix IV – The 1864 Boyle Photo Album." "Boyle"
is, of course, one of the entries in the concordance file.

"Appendix IV – The 1864 <text:alphabetical-index-mark
text:string-value="Boyle"/>Boyle Photo Album</text:p>"

As you can see, there are six instances of the index mark for this one
instance of the word "Boyle" indicating that I must have updated the index
at least five times (by adding additional names to the concordance file).
And, these were "updates" - that is, I didn't just reload the concordance
file. (As an aside, that should itself prompt you to see if earlier marks
should be removed. I tried that, and Writer just leaves the old marks there
and adds new ones for words in the new concordance file.)

In fairness, I suppose I should add that this doesn't have any effect on the
VISIBLE document, but I must have some deep-seated psychological and/or
emotional issues that cause me to get quite annoyed by this :) Besides, it's
a really large document and this behavior certainly can't help.

I attempted using sed on the fodt file to see if I could eliminate all of
these patterns, reload the file, and regenerate the index, but I can't seem
to get the syntax correct and can't even locate
"<text:alphabetical-index-mark" in the file so I'm obviously missing
something (I'm no sed expert, but I've used sed, grep and such things off
and on for many years with no particular difficulties). So if anyone can
offer the correct syntax for replacing all these things with [nothing], I'd
be grateful.

I'm using Writer Version: Build ID:
be4035d00f37c492494fa7860955b6d0868c7f77 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit Linux by
the way.


View this message in context:
Sent from the Users mailing list archive at

To unsubscribe e-mail to:
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive:
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted


Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.