On 01/26/2014 06:25 PM, Joel Madero wrote:
This is somewhat doable. See this old tutorial:
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=709

Apart from being extremely tedious, it forces you to have some white
space ABOVE paragraph with run-in heading. Or, in other words, to have
some spacing between two paragraphs.
This is against typographic rules of some countries, and therefore not
really applicable.
Good to know, so completely a valid request. Apparently some academic
works require a format which we cannot achieve.

Thanks!

Best,
Joel

I never heard of the no-space/line requirement between paragraphs, except if you use indented first lines for each paragraph. Well, I am in the USA, and every time I went back to college and needed to buy a new "English writing" book, it seems that things keep changing. New ways to do footers and bibliography references, plus a whole lot more. . . .

So if seem to be a fact that other countries would have different writing standards than we do. We keep changing ours, or at least we did in the 80's, 90's and early 00's.

So as an International software package, that is used to create documents of various types, we need to make it work for as many of the writing standards and styles, for as many countries and languages, as our developers can make work.

"some academic works"?  Which "works"?

What type of works do you have in mind?

For those "academic works" . . .
Can it be done without "styles" but not with the current way that the "styles" operate? Am I correct in this? I am getting into this thread late so I do not have all of the information.

I use to use a typewriter, before I has a DOS computer and printer, for some of my "academic works". Then I used a PC-XT dual floppy with dot matrix printer with PC-DOS. Then I got Windows and Word 95. I ended my "academic writing" with Word 2003, since that was the last one out when I finished my 3rd degree. I was looking into OpenOffice.org in its early days of not being able to read/write .doc files. Then I got into LibreOffice about a month after its first release, not RC.

I am very glad that LibreOffice is out there for the current crop of students, from 12 to 62 years of age. I wish I had it for most of my college classes and even before that in Horseheads Junior and Senior High Schools. LO would have made a great deal of help, back then.

How about the original poster and the others help out the "Academic" development marketing by listing all the things that LO does not do properly for your region or area of study, and what it does do and help with it. Then we can work on make it better for the students, current and future, who rely on FOSS packages instead of MS packages.

We really need to market LO in the schools more, a lot more even if that is all some people do, so we can get users use to using LO instead of the alternatives. Get them early and they will stay with LO and FOSS. Even if they are forced to use MS on the job, they will use it everywhere else.
.