On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Carl Paulsen <carlpaulsen@comcast.net>wrote:

Dang, I hate the new list behavior of replying to the sender instead of
the list.  C

+1 there. I spammed Carl trying to reply and ask for feedback on
alternatives suggested to OP

Now from computer instead of phone

Yes pivot table can do that. I've used it many times. Have you tried the
Subtotal method I described?

Has anybody tried both Carl's method and mine?

It would be interesting if there's a consensus given OP's expectation of
unskilled users and intended outputs? Anybody?

After using both myself, and the pivot table MUCH more than the Subtotal
option I favor the Subtotals. Fewer clicks to get result, result displays
by adding rows to existing data no need to look somewhere else (another
tab) , using outline button can display rows of only customer name and
total purchase, then with outline and row expansion show purchase detail
for individual customer, once Subtotal has been applied totals and customer
detail can be displayed or hidden with one click, no need to open a menu,
it seemed users may be familiar with sort and up to clicking the "OK"
button on the Subtotal dialog this seems to me more similar to sort.
Other ideas?