Tom,

Let me clarify what I need to do. I need the raw data to move to a new relational database. I'm not planning on having them work directly on spreadsheets. The data will go into Salesforce, but I don't know how to get the raw SQL data into Salesforce with the changes I need to make to it before the move without exporting it.

I may have confused the discussion but not explaining my exact needs, but that's because I (wrongly) tend to think I can do almost everything, and only ask for help for specific issues I think I'm facing. There may well be other ways to do this, but I was focused on what I thought was the only way.

So...what I need is to remove the data from the current database (apparently what I have is the best we can get), manipulate it so that certain fields meet the requirements of the new database, then move it into the new database. The only way I am aware of to get the data into the new (Salesforce) database is in CSV files. Field mapping is done via the first "row" of data (I need the field names), and I also need to figure out what fields contain what data for the mapping process.

My goal was to use Base as a tool to extract the data, or perhaps even accomplish the manipulations I need to do in prep for the move to Salesforce. I thought I might be able to open or link to the data file I have through Base and export it. That's because I haven't really understood how to use SQL. I then realized I'd probably first need to open or host the SQL data through MySQL or another variant of that. Trouble is, I don't know how to do that. Alex gave some specific suggestions which I will try today.

Honestly, though, I don't understand what MySQL does. Does it "open" the data file, interpret the commands in it, and then allow the user to manipulate and/or display the data correctly (with the correct relational links)? And is that the only - or best - way to access the data with Base? Can I just use MySQL to generate CSV files (or some other format that Calc can open) for each of the tables in the file? At this point, I'm not yet sure I have MySQL running properly, because it ain't like any packaged software I've used in the past (and it's been a LONG time since I've done and command-line work - like since the mid to late 1980s). Or maybe there's an option I haven't thought of to manipulate and move the data into Salesforce.

At this point I'm all ears. If I need MySQL for this, can someone either point out a forum where I could get help with it or offer to coach me (off list if need be) through the process of opening the data and extracting it or connecting to Base?

OK, thanks, and sorry for the tome.

Carl