Thanks, Jay, that is VERY helpful and clarifies a lot. I wondered if I needed the server setup but lots of things I read yesterday suggested I did need that. I do understand that things like Base and Access are just GUIs, but I guess I really just don't understand what a database is and, in particular, what SQL is. I know there needs to be raw data and a file/table structure and I assume a way to interact with it, but I'm still missing a lot.

Is there a basic online reference to help me understand what a SQL database is and what MySQL and the rest are relative to that?

Thx,
Carl