2014/1/10 Jacob Marioni <Thunderwolfx17@hotmail.com>

Hello. LibreOffice has been wonderful up until recently.

All of my ODT won't open properly. Every time I try to open a .odt file,
the
'ASCII Filter Options' comes up. These are all normal text files and this
has never happened before. When the filter options open up its set at:

-Character Set: Western European (Windows -125)
-Default Fonts: Times New Roman
-Language: English (USA)

I just clicked ok to try and start it, but when I do everything is gone and
turned into things like this:

"##’êH`h¤i3Vµe#K†£�½À‡T½=E©Å#Ñs#u�…�^âkÂA¼¾Cé.ì@R÷¤'KÛ‡Ù=·î#¢�öÌ
mÚÎ#Ťáo#íà‘ü,kvÝðŸ#·„Ëa�—+ŒîsQíf—R�7ÉÇ<P7Û5>™#W…#
£#½´i)s‘’5Å=<#Ü(…0âêJªvVuÞŠ=ƒ�ŽKÑ5“F)
a¼á>#ÉÖ=Ʊ…'è<¿#LK×Ú#5…ÛpU�Œë##“#2#îHLM†1“ŠG >Mò;ì¯mÊ6Ï#
[#€–ªÈ–%[s4*˜

This has affected All my old .odt files. My .txt files are fine. I can make
and save new .odt files fine without this problem happening. The only clue
have is that all this started happening when I got a virus a few months
ago.

This (the ASCII Filter options thing) indicate that LO don't recognize your
file as a valid ODT file. If you let the option as indicated, it mean that
your file is no longer a ZIP file (ODT are zip files), so I fear that their
recovery will be very hard (is possible at all). But, I might be mistaken,
so if one of these file doesn't contain sensitive informations, you could
try putting it online somewhere and link it here, so others may fiddle with
it and (hopefully) find a solution.

However, you indicate that you had a "virus". Do you know which one it was?
(usually antivirus software keep some sort of history). It's not out of the
question that something messed with your file (most likely encrypting
them), as CryptoLocker type of virus got some more activity recently.​​