On 01/06/14 09:02, Alex Thurgood wrote:> Le 05/01/2014 18:32, Larry Evans a écrit :

> Hi Larry,
>

>> In calc, when I try to insert a link to:
>>
>>    ~/evansl/prog_dev/LibreOffice/database/products_supplier.odb
>>
>> from the Insert>Link to external Data...
>>
>> the OK button remains disabled.  How can I link to an existing
>> database which was created with Libreoffice?
>
> OLE linking of an ODB file is not supported (by any of the LO modules).
> Your database file is either registered with LO, in which case it is
> accessible to Calc/Writer and the other modules via the UNO API, and
> whatever db interfaces those modules support, or it is unregistered, in
> which case, you have to open a connection to the datasource first (e.g.
> via macro) and then use that connection as the starting point for
> manipulation of database objects within the module that you wish to
> use.
I've registered the database, and can view the tables in calc.

> Calc supports database ranges obtained via queries in an ODB file, but
> the ODB object is not embedded in the Calc document as such.

That's unfortunate.

> I don't really understand what exactly you are trying to achieve, so
> maybe I have missed something ?
>
> Alex

No, you haven't missed anything because I never specified my untimate
goal.  The intermediate goal of embedding the .odb in the calc was to
allow using the query abilities of base together with the ilp solving
abilites of calc to find an invoice containing the best supplies to
satisfy the demand for a set of products.  Now I could 1st enter the
data in the database, then open the calc and then copy the data from
the database into calc, and then find the best invoice using calc
solver; however, it would be more user friendly if all could be done
just from calc, which is what I thought embedding might do.
The reason I thought embedding would provide this convenience is
because of this quote:

  OLE objects can be linked to a target document or be embedded in the
  target document. Linking inserts information which will be updated
  with any subsequent changes to the original file, while embedding
  inserts a static copy of the data. If you want to edit the embedded
  spreadsheet, double-click on the object.

from page 25 of:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/7/75/CG4110-LinkingCalcData.odt

(Thanks again to Miguel for that link).

Thanks Alex for the info that and .odb can't be embedded into a .ods.

-regards,
Larry