Hello, Bobbie.
Here are some of your options to attempt to fix these issues:
According to Microsoft, error 1303 can be caused by incorrect configurations in system files and the registry, or more specifically, issues regarding filesystem permissions. In your e-mail, you said that the LibreOffice installer complained that you weren't the administrator, even though you are the administrator of the system. This may mean that some important system files/folders (such as Program Files) have insufficient permissions for the Administrator or the System users, causing the installer to think that it is not being run under administrator rights. If you open up your C drive (or your main system drive) in Windows Explorer, you should see a folder called "Program Files." Right click it, and select Properties > Security tab. What do you see? Since you are running a 64-bit system, it is also good to check Program Files (x86). This might not be the source of the problem, but it will gives me a good idea of the issue. This shows the filesystem permissions for that folder for each user/group. Things you could try to restore your system and LibreOffice to working order:
1. System Restore
System Restore is a built-in function of Windows that when enabled, automatically creates "restore points" that contain information such as installed programs and a full registry backup. Hold down the Microsoft/Windows key and press R. Release the two keys, and you should see a dialog called "Run" pop up.
In it, type (or paste) the following in the run box, and press OK.
%systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe
This will open System Restore. You might be able to restore your system to a restore point with a date *previous* to the date in which the problems started. This will, however, restore your old LibreOffice. I don't know if this would actually fix the issue, but it's worth a try. If there are no restore points, you can try some of the other possible fixes below. Just remember that a system restore backs up your registry and installed programs, but *does not* affect your files or documents. However, I don't know if your "disappeared" backups will be recovered.
2. Fix potential problematic filesystem permissions
I mentioned earlier the ability to view/change the permissions of a file/folder. Go to the properties > Security tab of Program Files and Program Files (x86), and for each user group, make sure that "Full access" is selected. You can change permissions by clicking on a user group and then "Change." Then, retry the installation.
3. Clean your registry
I recommend that you install some piece of software that can scan, and allow you to fix, registry issues and clean up junk. It may find a problem that relates to the error 1303 that you got. I recommend CCleaner <http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/?tag=mncol;1>, a well-known, light-weight, free, and legitimate program designed to remove junk and clean the registry.

What are you referring too when you talk about "backups?"
Was this information helpful to you at all?
Does the following folder and contents even exist?: C:\Program Files (x86)\LibreOffice 4
If so, what are its permissions?
If you are attempting the *updated* LibreOffice installer, and have not gotten back your old LibreOffice, you might want to consider renaming that folder so that the installer won't have to override certain contents of the folder.
I hope you will be able to "untangle this mess" in the end.

Happy new year!