On 11/30/2013 08:38 PM, Kevin O'Brien wrote:
Is there a source for detailed information on frame positioning in Writer?

Thanks,

Let me provide some context around Mr. O'Brien.

1. He is very smart.
2. He is well versed with OpenOffice. Sufficiently well versed, that I have seen him (in person) teach detailed classes on OpenOffice.

In other words, I assume that he has looked in the obvious places. That said, and because Mr. Drescher asked, consider this link:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/9/96/WG40-WriterGuideLO.odt

When I look at this document, Frames begins on page 120.

The anchoring information is on page 123 and it is well written, and has the following relative to paragraph and character.

*To Paragraph*

The frame is associated with a paragraph and moves with the paragraph. It may be placed in the margin or another location. This method is useful as an alternative to a table for placing icons beside paragraphs. It is also used to center text on a page in documents which will be used in a master document (frames anchored to pages will disappear from the master document).

*To Character*

The frame is associated with a character but is not in the text sequence. It moves with the paragraph but may be placed in the margin or another location. This method is similar to anchoring to a paragraph.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php