Brian Barker provided me with a sample that showed it works, but I had to figure out why his worked and mine didn't.

There's a trick to it. First, you have to type some random text to use as your initial value. Then, highlight/select that text/value. That's the key step I was missing which isn't documented and cost me substantial time and frustration. (Perhaps there's another way, but that's the only way that I was able to discover.)

Once it's selected/highlighted, you can set a reference point like so: menu->insert->cross-reference->set reference, and then menu->insert->cross-reference->insert reference, repeating the insert reference sequence as often as needed.

I also found there was some weirdness associated with updating the value. First, you have to be very careful about where you place the cursor or you overwrite the set reference point. Because of that, _*I would like to protect the set reference point so that it doesn't get overwritten, but still allows changing the value.*_ *Anyone know how to do that?*

Second, sometimes the value gets auto-updated and sometimes it doesn't so that you have to force it with F9. I haven't figured out why. Yes, I have the auto-update option checked.