Hi :)
In Italy you have an excellent resource to call on.  Italo Vignoli.
http://www.documentfoundation.org/contact/
He is excellent at promoting LibreOffice and is great at doing talks
or lectures about LibreOffice.  Unlike some FOSS people he is
excellent at creating a good impression and at working with people who
are very high in authority in global organisations or governments.  He
is roughly the equivalent (or one of the equivalents) of Head of
Marketing, or Marketing CEO, or something around that level or higher.

If you could contact him off-list then he might be quite keen to
handle the school's governing body, probably using a top-down approach
to contrast with your "grass-roots"-up approach.  He can probably give
a some good advice on how to handle the whole thing and maybe develop
an "action plan" with you, using your "local knowledge".  It might
even be possible for TDF to fund a trip or 2 to your school or at
least pay for travel and overnight costs.

Apparently LibreOffice/OpenOffice is around 20% of the market segment
in Europe.  MS Office only has around 80% or less.  It's largely down
to Italo, Sophie, and many others and local users groups.
Regards from
Tom :)