Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
On 11/21/2013 01:59 PM, Mark Bourne wrote:
David Gast wrote:
I have two ideas.

Interestingly, Windows Vista's "Character Map" utility (and probably
also Windows 7's?) has similar ideas...

1. Highlight the categories, so it is easy to tell where the category
starts and ends.

Vista's character map has an option to group by Unicode subrange,
where only the characters from the selected subrange are shown - as
opposed to LibreOffice's current behaviour of jumping to the first
character in the range, but giving no easy indication where the range
ends. As you suggest, highlighting the range would be similarly helpful.

2. Allow some input box so you could type some substring of the
characters' names and get
     all matching characters.  For example, if you typed equal, all
characters with equal
     in the name would be listed.  (I do not know if the names are
i*18n or not.).

Vista's character map does pretty much exactly this. I think the
character names are defined in the Unicode standard. Not sure if
they're internationalised though. The thing that keeps catching me out
with Vista is that after searching, the "Search" button changes to
"Reset" - so to do a new search you have to first reset, then type the
query string, then search; you can't just type a new query and search
for it.

Mark.

I think you are asking for something like Thunderbird's Insert Special
Character option.  That option might be used as a different Special
Character option.  I really do not think that it would work on the
non-Latin fonts or give you all of the glyphs/characters, especially the
Unicode font's glyphs/characters, that the font has to offer or needed.

I don't know about Thunderbird, but Windows Vista's character map (which I was describing) does work for all Unicode characters in the selected font. I'd expect Window 7's character map to also work similarly. For example, search for "sharp" and it returns:
  ß (U+00DF: Latin Small Letter Sharp S)
and
  ♯ (U+266F: Music Sharp Sign)

Want a division sign? My initial attempt searching for "divide" didn't get it, but trying another term "division" gets:
  ÷ (Division Sign)
  ∕ (Division Slash - not the same as /)
  ⊘ (Circled Division Slash)
  ⋇ (Division Times)

I'm not certain, but think the names for the characters are defined by the Unicode standard.

So I really think we need to keep the existing Special Character option,
but could add on the "alternative" and limited one that Thunderbird has
to LO.  Since Thunderbird is also Open Source [so I have been told] you
should be able to find the coding for this option if you look for it.
[maybe even ask their developers for it]

I am using it now so I can give you examples.

You select all of the "a" characters, and then go down the scrolled list
for the "a" character you wish to add.
      à á â ã ä å a; a*' a* a^'
There are 30 in the lowercase "a" list.

It looks like that's just searching for characters which look similar to the one you type? Probably based on some sort of lookup table.

The Categories are - and some samples from Times [if they go through
correctly]

Accent Uppercase - È È E`` O;- O^' ? T^

Accent Lowercase - t" ? ë e^ e~

Other Uppercase - Æ Ø DZ( Œ