On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 00:59:33 +0700
"Urmas" <davian818@gmail.com> wrote:

"James Knott":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AARD_code

Quote:
Microsoft disabled the AARD code for the final release of Windows 3.1

It's a myth.

What is a myth, that Microsoft disabled the AARD code? :P

The AARD code is indeed *not* a myth, it was very real, it was just
disabled for the final release, according to Wikipedia.

That said, I clearly recall some Microsoft program not running on our
old DR-DOS system back in the day, can't recall if it was Windows or
Word (I'm sure it must have been one of those two), but it definitely
complained about our DOS not being good enough, which was completely
bogus. In many respects DR-DOS was much better than MS DOS, and it was
fully capable of running the MS software, despite the bogus claim of
said software.

The AARD code may have been disabled, but it wasn't the only piece of
malicious code they used.