I have a fairly large (446 pages) but straightforward LibreOffice Writer
document from which I need to create a PDF/A-1a. When I exported to pdf, I
noticed that none of the hyphens showed up in the pdf; wherever there was
supposed to be a hyphen, there was a space, but no hyphen character.

I "printed" the same document using the CUPS-pdf printer, and the hyphens
appeared fine, but since I require more control over the pdf than that
driver provides, that isn't a good solution.

A little further testing showed that the hyphens disappeared whenever I
chose the PDF/A-1a option, and the problem can be reproduced fairly easily
by creating a document with several justified paragraphs, each using
different fonts if desired. Create two pdf exports - one with PDF/A-1a
checked, and one without it checked.

I'm using LibreOffice Version: 4.1.2.3, Build ID:
40b2d7fde7e8d2d7bc5a449dc65df4d08a7dd38 on 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, but have
no idea if this behavior appears in earlier releases, since I never needed
to use the PDF/A-1a option.

Any comments would be welcome.