At 18:56 27/10/2013 -0500, T. R. Valentine wrote:
On 27 October 2013 18:50, Tim Lloyd wrote:
[...]

I think you read my question incorrectly.

That's because your original question was not at all clear! (You owe it to correspondents not to waste their time.)

Specifically, I am able to use regular expressions to search for a one to many-digit number: \d* But I want to leave the number (whatever it may be) in place and insert a tab immediately after it. I expected I should be able to use: \1\t but LO is interpreting the \1 *literally* instead of as a backreference.

There are two things wrong here, I think. First, although \1, \2, and so on can be used to refer back to parts of the "Search for" field *within the "Search for" field itself*, the corresponding syntax in the "Replace with" field is $1, $2, and so on. But then you also have to mark which part of the matched string you want to refer back to - and you do that using parentheses in the Search field.

If you want to refer to the entire matched string using $1, you must use (\d*) as your search string. But - easier than that - you can always refer to the entire matched string using the ampersand: & (or you can use $0). In that case the parentheses are unnecessary in the search string: you would search for \d* and replace with &\t.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker