Hi Ken

snowshed wrote
  Another problem with things like the inspector or the sidebar, is it
takes up room on the display you may not have if you're using a smaller
laptop.

Agreed. The sidebar only makes sense on wide monitors. But unless you only
use the menus you need some sort of toolbar present... The sidebar has the
advantage that it hides/collapses if you click on the vertical handle, so
you can save screen space and still have it all a single click away...

<http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n4079908/HideSidebar.png>

Maybe it makes sense to add an Autohide feature?

snowshed wrote
I won't go into any lengthy explanation here, but I've given up on
filing bugs for any open source program.  The short reason is, things
that are important to me, that I use, don't get addressed.  So, I just
move on to another program, even if it means I pay for it.

I know the feeling. But if you are going to spend money, why not pay a
bounty for some developer to add those things? Then it would benefit you and
all other users. It would be a way to thank/payback the project and the
users for all the other features that already work :)

snowshed wrote
No matter how much I want to use Program A, if it can't/won't/ do the
job, there's no reason to use it.  Just thought I'd give 4.x.x a try,
but things I use still are not fixed.  And having the sidebar doesn't
fix them.

Obviously using a program that doesn't work for the job is pointless. The
advantage of open source programs is that if you make a request/report a bug
you have a chance that someone *might* add/fix it or you can add it yourself
(if you know how to code, obviously :) )

Just to make it clear: I'm not an advocate for this project or am in any way
insisting that you should use *this* software. I'm just arguing that open
source has it's advantages and it works better if everyone who uses/tries it
"pays" back by simply providing some feedback...

Can you list here things that don't work? Adding them to the bug tracker (or
at least to some public document) gives you/the project a better chance that
when you try it again they might already be fixed/added ;)

Best regards,
Pedro