Hi :)
Sorry this doesn't answer the question either!  Hopefully someone else can
directly address your specific concerns.

The lab techs might not be aware that LibreOffice is OpenSource.  it's
fairly obvious imo but they just might not have had time to think about
it.  They might be more amenable to doing the updates, even mid-term, if
they hear it's OpenSource and that it's just an update from one stable
branch to another.

Any release after x.x.4 in any branch is "stable branch" although the x.x.0
- x.x.2 of the same branch is not.  It's a bit of a misleading term tbh but
it is commonly used in many projects and helps people understand what is
going on more quickly.  Sometimes precision is less valuable than clarity.
The x.x.0 - x.x.2 releases are more about adding new features and better
compatibility with whichever version of MS Office is currently more widely
used.  Sometimes that adds unexpected odd results but that is smoothed-out
by later releases in the same branch.

So the lab-techs probably don't want the headache of having to thoroughly
test newer versions of any software, especially mid-term, but if they have
confidence in the stability then they might be much happier about it.  That
is what the term "stable branch" aims to help with.

Most teams of lab techs have at least 1 person who really understands this
concept of "stable branch" versus "exciting new features branch" and
hopefully all of them know it or will quickly grasp the concept.  Most
OpenSource projects have some similar way of working.  Even with
proprietary software they are familiar with the idea that programs settle
down after "Service Pack" 1 or 2 have been added.

Regards from
Tom :)