Hi :)
I've only seen the "i/o error" when the file is not saved on the local machine.  Can you download
the file to your "my Documents" folder (or even your desktop) and then try again from there.

Wrt to the doc vs docX issue, each newer version of Micorsoft Office sometimes has troubles reading
files created by older versions of itself.  Each new version has a slightly different
implementation of the docX (and xlsX, pptX and so on).  People kinda need to buy the same version
used by most other people they swap files with.  Generally that means everyone has to keep buying
newer and newer versions of MS Office to keep doing the same thing they were doing years ago. The
older formats, without the X at the end, (as used in MS Office 2003 and earlier) tend to be more
reliable and usually look the same in any program.

However i don't think you are suffering from the usual problem people have with DocX.  I think you
just need to save the file locally.

Just out of curiosity are you using Windows or a Gnu&Linux such as Mint or Ubuntu?
Regards from
Tom :)