At 20:09 13/09/2013 +0200, Paul Steyn wrote:
By golly, you got it in one!

Good-oh!

There still seems to be a bug in 4.1.1.2 in that entering a formula into a cell formatted as text gives you a blank cell until you make a change to the spreadsheet (add a column, change the cell format, something like that), and then like magic the formula value suddenly appears in the cell.

Is this just a display problem? What happens, for example, if you minimise and then restore the Calc window: does that do anything?

I see that preceding formulae with "'" makes the "'" appear in the cell, irrespective of the cell format. Seems this is no longer a text mark character. I'm sure it used to be, or is in Excel, as I've used it before.

Surely it still works? There are a couple of points that may be confusing you here.

o If you have custom ("smart") quotes set in your AutoCorrect options, the apostrophe you type will be converted into an open single quote and will not fulfil its intended function. To correct this, either disable custom quotes or - more easily - just go to Edit | Undo (or Ctrl+Z) immediately after typing the apostrophe: this will undo the autocorrection to leave the intended apostrophe.

o If you have already managed to enter something starting with an apostrophe or open quote in a cell in the same column, Calc may offer you suggested input, and you may need additional presses of Ctrl+Z to return to the plain apostrophe you need before typing the real cell contents you require.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker