Explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlinear_gloss

One idea I have is to set centre-align tabs (hoping the distance
between each tab set isn't too far for short words or too close for
long words), use a line-break at the end of each line except the
bottommost which would use a paragraph break with ample spacing below
the paragraph and/or a line to separate each group of lines. (This
would require using a tab between each word instead of a space.)

The only other idea I have would be to use a table which would allow
me to use a paragraph break to enter the details under the original
text and then use a tab to move to the next cell, but I'd probably
need one table per group of lines and constantly insert/delete cells
as needed — which seems like a lot of layout work.

Any better ideas? Any existing templates?

--
T. R. Valentine
A rich heart may be under a poor coat.